Position Type: Teaching Assistant
Contract Type: Full time (part time considered)
Apply by: 2020-07-03
Job Start: August 2020
Science Technician/Laboratory Assistant
Job Title: Science Technician/Laboratory Assistant
Reporting to: Faculty Leader for Science
Support the practical and technical aspects of the Science curriculum by preparing, providing, maintaining, organising and managing the resources required for healthy, safe and secure, exciting practical activities to be carried out by staff and students. This post is one of two laboratory assistants in the Secondary School. A Part-Time appointment may be considered although applications for a Full-Time would be advantageous.
Key Areas of Responsibility
Logistics and Preparation
- Delivering equipment to laboratories and collecting, checking and returning equipment to stores.
- Taking care of laboratory equipment and apparatus, including maintenance and repair.
- General laboratory cleaning (bench surfaces and fixed equipment including sinks).
- Organising, storing and stocktaking and ordering of chemicals and equipment.
- Disposing of waste materials.
- Making up solutions.
- Constructing, modifying and assembling apparatus.
Health and Safety
- Carrying out risk assessments for technician activities.
- Keeping up to date with health & safety requirements.
- Carrying out health & safety checks on laboratories, prep rooms and stores.
- Carrying out safety checks, which may include electrical equipment, fume cupboards, first-aid kits, pressure vessels and the condition of Bunsen burner tubing, eye protection, glassware, and chemicals that deteriorate.
- Attend and contribute to regular training and assessment as required.
Teaching and Learning
- Photocopying and laminating teaching resources required by Science teaching staff.
- Ensuring all teaching and practical resources required by teaching staff are delivered on time with the correct numbers.
- Discussing and trialling practical activities with teachers if necessary.
- Providing technical support to experienced and trainee teachers including health & safety guidance.
- Providing technical support to students, including health & safety guidance.
- Assisting in practical classes.
- Carrying out and maintaining a high standard of display in the Science department.
- Other roles and responsibilities –
The scope of these can be discussed with the successful candidate and some of them may be optional
- Ensuring the delivery of practical and teaching resources for extra-curricular activities such as field trips and science clubs.
- Participating in department meetings.
- Participating in department and whole school trips, including residential trips.
- To act as a Co-Tutor as part of our Vertical Tutoring pastoral system.
Other reasonable requests made by the Subject Leader for Science and Senior Leadership Team of the Secondary SchoolClick here for the full job description - PDF file