The British School Kathmandu is committed to safeguarding children and young people. All post holders are subject to appropriate vetting procedures, including checks with past employers, a satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service check, a Prohibition Order Check and the successful application of an ICPC (International Child Protection Certificate). Our safeguarding and safer recruitment policies are shared with all prospective candidates.
Position Type: Senior Leader
Contract Type: Full-time
Apply by: 25 January 2019
Job Start: 1st August 2019
Responsible to: Principal
To provide the conditions for our primary teachers to be able to provide the best educational experience for our students.
To lead and manage the day to day, operational running of the Primary School, working closely with the Assistant Heads.
To contribute to the overall strategic direction of the school as a member of the Leadership Team and the Management Team.
Main roles and responsibilities
- - To provide direction, training and inspiration for our teachers to be exceptional classroom practitioners.
- - To ensure student progress is evident across the Primary School and all achievement is recognised and celebrated.
- - To provide a safe environment and ensure the wellbeing of all students remains the priority.
- - Oversee a clear assessment and reporting structure and schedule.
- - To recruit inspirational teachers, deploy them effectively, and develop them to achieve the highest possible performance standards.
- - Regularly evaluate the learning and teaching taking place in the school using a variety of means including regular learning walks, lesson observations, learning conversations, appraisal and effective feedback.
- - To model excellent learning and teaching through their own classroom practice.
- - To keep up to date with all curriculum and pedagogical developments, implementing appropriate initiatives through effective INSET and CPD.
- - Work with the Head of Learning Support to ensure students experiencing learning difficulties are provided with appropriate support and guidance.
- - To work with and empower the Primary Leadership Team to be courageous and innovative in their initiatives and help implement them thoroughly.
- - Manage the Primary School budget effectively and efficiently, ensuring resources are deployed appropriately and fairly.
- - Manage the Primary School calendar and ensure general administration, including reports, are of the highest standard.
- - Communicate effectively with all members of our community to ensure clarity and be a driving force for positive change.
- - Work with the Head of Secondary and the Principal in working towards our Mission and Vision through appropriately ambitious school development plans.
- - Work with our Administration Team in ensuring the smooth operation of the school, and our Board of Governors in helping shape the strategic direction of the school
- - Promote a positive profile of the School Mission and Vision to all members of the community.
- - Other reasonable requests made by the Principal
Person Specification - Head of Primary School (Vice Principal)
- - Ability to inspire children to learn effectively and to model excellent teaching - Essential
- - Hard-working and dedicated to continuous improvement and communicating successes within and outside school - Essential
- - Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with all 'stakeholders', creating a harmonious and collaborative community - Essential
- - Excellent organisational and time management skills with the ability to prioritise tasks, work on one's own initiative and react appropriately to competing demands - Essential
- - Ability to maintain confidentiality - Essential
- - Ability to solve problems, make good judgements and take decisions - Essential
- - Awareness of TBS commitment to community work and willingness to contribute to TBS charities and community programmes - Essential
- - Awareness of one’s own vulnerabilities and 'knowledge gaps; with the mindset to seek feedback, self reflect, develop and improve - Desirable
- - Recognisable teaching qualification and a good degree - Essential
- - Middle/Senior Leadership training and/or a postgraduate degree in Education - Essential
- - Understanding and knowledge of ICT and a willingness to further develop ICT skills - Desirable
- - Leading a team successfully with evidence of strategic planning and positive outcomes - Essential
- - Leading and managing other staff including line/performance managing colleagues - Essential
- - Managing department finances or working within a budget - Essential
- - Interviewing and recruiting staff - Desirable
- - Enthusiastic, hard-working and resilient - Essential
- - Calm, flexible, approachable attitude - Essential
- - Exhibit confidence with humility - Essential
- - Ability to work under pressure, on own initiative, accurately and with attention to detail - Essential
- - A sense of humour with the right balance of gravitas - Essential
- - Confidence to advise and challenge the Principal and on all aspects relating of school life - Essential
Remuneration: TBS Leadership Scale (related to UK Leadership Scale), dependent on qualifications and experience.
The British School Kathmandu is committed to safeguarding children and young people. All post holders are subject to appropriate vetting procedures, including checks with past employers, and a satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service Enhanced check. Our safeguarding and safer recruitment policies are shared with all prospective candidates.
TBS does not discriminate with regard to race, colour, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, political opinion, or disability.Click here for the full job description - PDF file