Position Type: Teacher
Contract Type: Full-time
Apply by: June 15, 2020
Job Start: August 1, 2020
Tsukuba International School (つくば・インターナショナル・スクール, TIS) is an IB World School in Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan. Since our founding in 1992, we have been dedicated to promoting international-mindedness in the northern Kanto Region.
Tsukuba Science City, a place where critical thinking, creativity, and collaboration are highly valued, provides the backdrop for our unique programmes. The school provides a warm and welcoming environment for students of all nationalities.
We offer a rich educational program for students from pre-kindergarten (age 3) to Grade 12 (age 18), with one class per grade. We have 265 students in our school (as of September 2019). We are authorized to offer the Primary Years Programme (PYP), the Middle Years Programme (MYP), and the Diploma Programme (DP) of the International Baccalaureate (IB). IB World Schools share a common philosophy — a commitment to high quality, challenging, international education. For further information about the IB and its programmes, visit the International Baccalaureate website.
We are accredited by the Council of International Schools (CIS). We are registered as an educational organization (学校法人 各種学校) by Ibaraki Prefecture. This is the standard category for international schools in Japan that are registered as schools in their local prefecture. (We are the only international school registered in Ibaraki Prefecture.) We are also a member of the East Asia Regional Council of Schools (EARCOS) and the Japan Council of International Schools (JCIS).
We are currently seeking a full-time IB MYP/DP Teacher of Mathematics to start on August 1, 2020.
The successful candidate will teach the following classes.
- Grade 6 MYP Math
- Grade 7 MYP Math
- Grade 11 DP Math
- Grade 12 DP Math
The teacher will share additional responsibilities (for example, pastoral care of homeroom students, organizing school events) with the other teachers at the school.
As TIS is an IB World School, experienced IB (MYP/DP) teachers will be given preference, although certified teachers with a strong interest in inquiry-based learning and collaborative planning will also be considered.
Pledge of Non-Discrimination
Tsukuba International School is an equal opportunity educator and employer. We will not discriminate against any student, prospective student, employee, or job applicant on the basis of race, color, gender, nationality, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We will take measures to ensure against such discrimination in all of our services and practices.
The following are non-negotiable credentials for applying for this position.
- Native-level English proficiency.
- University degree in education (preferably with a Math specialization) from a country with an English language-based curriculum. (A degree in “Teaching English as a Second/Foreign Language” is not sufficient.)
- Qualifications to teach in a jurisdiction with primarily English-based education. (This means that the candidate must be a certified teacher in a country such as Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, or the United States.)
- Valid and up-to-date first aid and CPR certifications (or willing to obtain or update certification within a few months of starting)
Please note that we will only consider applicants who have teaching qualifications (e.g. university degree in education qualifying that person to become a school teacher) from countries where English is an official language. Tsukuba International School is NOT an English conversation school, and therefore we do not accept resumes from people who are not qualified teachers.
NOTE: All successful candidates will be required to submit a criminal history background check, or similar, for all countries that they have worked in, as a condition of employment.
Range of Experience
We will give preference to candidates with the following kinds of experience.
- Experience teaching Mathematics
- Experience teaching at the middle school and/or high school level
- Experience teaching in the Middle Years Programme or the Diploma Programme of the International Baccalaureate
- Experience teaching at an international school, or in a multicultural environment.
- Experience teaching non-native speakers of English.
- Familiarity with inquiry-based learning.
- Experience with collaborative planning.
- Experience living in Japan, or living abroad
Salary: based on experience
School Year: late August to June
Benefits: commuting allowance, housing allowance, enrollment in the school’s insurance plan (私学共済), employment insurance
Vacation: 10 days paid personal leave, all Japanese national holidays plus fall, winter, spring, and summer vacations
Visa sponsorship: available
Relocation: will pay for flight to Japan (for applicants who are currently residing overseas) and assist in finding accommodation
Please click the link below to learn more about living and working in the city: Living in Tsukuba
Please submit the application form below to apply for this position.
Please note, the position may be filled before the application deadline if suitable candidates are found, therefore we encourage interested applicants to submit their applications early to ensure that they are considered.Click here for the full job description - PDF file